MORE IN THIS SECTION: Spiritual Life | Our Chapel | Our Charities | Our Primary schools | Our Parish Churches | Lourdes Pilgrimage | Myddelton Grange | The Year of Faith 2012-13 | Our School Prayer
PHOTO: STAINED GLASS WINDOWS, SACRED HEART, ILKEY
The following churches fall within the parishes served by St. Mary's Catholic High School, Menston.
For more information, please see the Diocese of Leeds Directory 2012, available from the Leeds Diocese
(updated every November).
Our Lady and All Saints,
History: In 1850 Thomas Constable of the Manor House, Otley built the church adjoining his house. The architect was Charles Hansom and it was opened on 24 June 1851.
|Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church, Yeadon
Priest: Rev Mgr Paul A Owens
Primary School: SS Peter and Paul Primary School, Yeadon
History: In 1909 Mr John Warrington built a church in the grounds of his home in Cragwood, Rawdon. In 1956 a new church designed by J H Langtry-Langton was consecrated by Bishop Dwyer. In January 1989 the original chapel at Cragwood closed.
Ss John Fisher and Thomas More,
Priest: Very Rev Canon Joseph Smith
History: Established as a parish by Fr Frederick Lefevre who built the church, designed by Empsall, Clarkson & Clarke and opened by Bishop Cowgill on 12 June 1932.
Sacred Heart of Jesus,Ilkley
Priest: Rev Mgr Kieran Heskin VG BA PhD
Primary School: Sacred Heart Catholic Primary School, Ilkley
History: The small chapel of Myddelton Lodge being insufficient for the needs of the congregation, a new church to the design of Edward Simpson was opened by Bishop Cornthwaite in July 1879 on land given by William Middleton. The church was considerably extended to the design of P H Langtry-Langton in October 1979.
Sacred Heart of Jesus, Ilkley
|St. Joseph's, Pudsey email@example.com
0113 257 0803
Priest: Rev Richard Carter MA
Rev Mark Knowles BA, Dip French (Retired Priest in Residence)
Primary School: St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Pudsey
History: Mass first said in hired room in Hannerton Field in 1883. School chapel in 1884 established as a parish in 1901. Temporary church in 1913. New Church by C E Fox in 1933, which was consecrated in 1983.
St. Mary's, Horsforth
0113 258 2607
Primary School: St. Mary's Catholic Primary School, Horsforth
History: For more than a hundred and twenty years, over fourteen priests have cared for the people of St. Mary’s Parish. In 1882, the 60 or 70 Catholics in Horsforth had to walk to Leeds or go to Cragwood in Rawdon to celebrate Mass. John Moor came to live in Horsforth in 1882 and, while walking to Mass in Cragwood, taught the children about Jesus on the way. He tried to persuade the Bishop to send a priest to look after the people and, in 1896, Father John Croskell came. Mr Moor rented Pear Tree House on Bachelor Lane to hold services in. This became too small and so the congregation decided to buy a piece of land on Broadgate Lane to build a chapel which would also serve as a school for the children. The foundation stone was laid in March 1896 and the new School-Chapel opened in September of that year. In 1908 Fr John Curan was appointed as Parish Priest. He looked after the parish for 24 years. Because of increasing numbers he decided to build the present church and free the whole of the original building for the school. The church was opened on Easter Tuesday 1928 at a cost of £12,000 – a huge sum in the twenties.
Under Fr Justice in 1972 the interior of the church was brought into line with the reforms of the Second Vatican Council and a narthex built at the west end.
St. Mary's Horsforth
Photographs of Sacred Heart Ilkley Church courtesy of Aidan McRae Thomson, Sacred Heart, Ilkley photo set [FLICKR]